Endumeni Disaster Management has offered tips in the hopes of preventing future fires.
* Candle usage negligence in terms of leaving candles unattended, letting them burn throughout the night, and letting children play with candles.
* Poor adult supervision.This occurs when children are left to play with matches, hazardous substances such as paraffin and even live electrical wires.
* Illegal electrical connections, better known as ‘izinyoka connections’, cause tremendous damage and fires.
* Human negligence. This occurs when electric blankets or heaters are left on throughout the night.
Tips on preventing fires:
* The new ‘DIY fire extinguisher’ can be used in times of emergency. This is a safe, convenient extinguisher that can be made with everyday necessities, such as vinegar, at a cost of just under R10. See www.northernnatalcourier.co.za for tips on how to make your own extinguisher.
* Adult supervision when using candles and the placing of candles in proper holders. Matches and flammable products should also be kept out of reach of children.
* Switch off all heaters and electric blankets before bed. Gas heaters should be closed at the cylinder to prevent leakages.
* Braaing and the use of’ ‘mbawulas‘ should be done at a safe distance away from houses, especially houses with thatched roofs. Braaiing, in particular, should be done in designated areas.
If one ever finds themselves in a hot spot , the fire department should be called immediately on 034 212 2222. One should not attempt to douse the flames oneself, and small children should be kept at a safe distance away from the fire.